Author Topic: Fighting Games, the "Technical" Breakdown  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Imperial_X

• Sannin
  • Chakra 2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Fighting Games, the "Technical" Breakdown
« on: March 04, 2004, 07:47:29 PM »
With the recent uproar of opinionated posts as to which fighting game is the best, I fail to see any real evidence why ppl vote for the games they do.  When I say evidence I'm not talking about graphics alone.  Fighting games thrive on the actual play of the fighting itself and not how the fighting looks.

If graphics were what made fighting games good then Dragon Ball Z would come out over a lot of others easily.

If you intend on saying the game is dread just because it is, please don't post here.

Anyway, in the first part of this analysis we will delve into the tragedy that is, was and shouldn't have been Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I'll get to the indepth stuff as soon as I'm finish hacking away at my keyboard but if anyone else that shares my opinions or differ from them wishes to express their views, then by all means.  Please try to support your responses with technical evidence e.g. things you have come to understand with the game's battle engine.                    
Consciousness yearn to kill
To re-affirm the will,
Zealous I burn the drill
Forging, I mould the skill.

Carigamers

« on: March 04, 2004, 07:47:29 PM »

Offline rb2k2

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 09:15:12 PM »
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Availability - Arcade , Sega Saturn , Sony Playstation , Sega Dreamcast.
Revision/Updates - Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper - Arcade , Sega Dreamcast & Nintendo Gameboy Advance

Gameplay Features

Modes - X-ISM , A-ISM , V-ISM

X - ISM  - This is pretty much like a "easy mode" ,  it is mainly used by beginners. X-ISM allows a character to one super move when his meter is full . It's pretty much an old school style groove a la Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. There is no air blocking and characters may have some other moves while in this ISM. The benefit of using X-ISM is that attacks do more damage  than in any other ISM.

A - ISM - This is the default mode ,  all characters have a  few supers, up to three levels of the super meter, alpha counters, and can air block. It is supposedly weaker than X-ISM and V-ISM

V - ISM -This is the Variable Combo mode , instead of a super meter you have one big combo meter. You cannot do supers but gain the ability to do Variable Combos. It is an followup to the Custom Combo that was in Alpha 2, with the variation that one of the shadows that follow you also attacks and does damage.  You can only activate the custom combo when you’re at least halfway full in the meter.

*yawn* i'll type more later.                    

Offline ShowTime

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thesupersaiyajinelite
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 10:57:53 PM »
Ahem, I would like to defend one of the games you have disgraced.  

Dragonball Z
Budokai 2
Dreddest Game Ever...

Graphics- Cell shading, a big improvement from the first and the anime-like drawings and indepth backrounds are a plus.

Gameplay- There are a variety of combos.  They just all look alike.  And...most of the moves and techniques are alike...and...and...well, gameplay's not that important, let's get back to...

Graphics- If you do a special move, stuff explodes...yea...

lol, see what ya mean Imperial.  But though they have yet to make a descent DBZ game, the sh*tty ones are still kinda fun.  You all can go back to SF Alpha 3.  I dont love it, i just like controversy.  CvS is the real sweat game                    

Offline Arucard-D

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 01:09:49 AM »
ways....Budokai...hmmmm...
*tsk tsk tsk...one word for that game - SUCK!
it's hella slow to do the combos...i does have to press the buttons too hard to play that game...but don't get me wrong eh , DBZ is coooooool....
best fighting game , Guilty Gear X

Gameplay - Very fast and intense...i like that in a fighting game....it's one of those games where, when in battle u can't take your eyes off the screen...and one wrong move and it could be all over...
Also, the combos that can be done are wayyy coool....Milla's, Potemkin's and Sol's are the best... some say that this game is cheap because of the combos that u can do...but they are just jealous cus they can't do it....

The GGX series are now available on nearly ALL nex-gen consoles...

Graphics - although it's a 2d fighting game, don't be fooled by the graphics they are very good...try playing it on a slow pc...it sticks like hell. Also there are always things in the backgrounds that are moving...                    

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 05:28:14 AM »
GGX is the best looking fighting game I have seen to date.

Real slick. Nuff props to it for that.

Nice post on the alpha Geese. That sums it up pretty nicely.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a boss game.

It also gains points from me for have a star studded cast of characters.  They threw in the kitchen sink with this one.

Two button presses for throws and an "animation" for attempted throw. This makes missing a throw a punishable offense. Also, it prevents cheesey constant throwing and casual mistake throws from pressing Strong or Fierce near an opponent. Very sweet.

Guard break. Opponent blocking everything you throw at him? No need to resort to jump kicking and throwing the bastard...now you can pressure him with blows and his guard will eventually drop....allowing you to drop a massive combo or super on his mc.

A proper rock, paper, scissors attack variation scheme. Allowing for low attack, mid attack, high attack.

Refined priority. No more wanton invincible uppercuts from the Shotos (much to my chagrin since I am 100% shoto, but it's a sensible move on their part)

It really doesn't get much better than this when you're talking puritan 2D street fighter sans comic book characters and the turn the whole screen red with laser beams and fly 200 feet in the air scene. Capcom came good with this one.

but don't just take my word for it.

GamePro gave it 5/5

Saying: Alpha 3 truly excels with its plethora of extra play-modes.

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/psx/games/reviews/49.shtml

IGN gave it 9.3/10

Reviewer said: I played this so much about a month ago I got blisters. This game is blissful in every way... A quintessential, must-have fighting game.

http://psx.ign.com/articles/160/160362p1.html                    

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 05:28:14 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal