Author Topic: Green Dot problems  (Read 7700 times)

Offline TrinireturnofGamez

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Green Dot problems
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:23:53 PM »
 I just spent some time talking to Ketan from green dot and sorting out all the questions
that we have  , No green dot is not purpously screwing everything up and sticking
 with the gaming WAN  , the problems stem from  many things  , some of them may be OUR fault from asking X any Y port to be opened several months ago , right now green dot is running an manufacturer specifications and is slowly opening each port and setting up services one by one .
   You can compare this to upgrading a your PC , you come home hyper with a
brand new video card, more RAM and a new CPU , and quickly cram everything in without thinking . A few hours later your pc starts giving you blue screens and restarting, and you have no idea what is causing it ! So you are not forced to rebuild your entire machine from scratch in order to find the problem ! 
    Onto some of the issues we have with green dot , i'm sure number one on our list is :

WTF is taking the gaming WAN so long to set up ? !
 Answer : the same problems that green has been having  ,they don't want to provide us with a service that fails
 randomly for no apparent reason and have us cussing them for doing so , so they must first sort out their
 currant network situation before adding our stuff into it .

WTF is up with my service ? my ports are locked ? ! ITS FREAKING SLOW!
 Answer : The ports are locked and are bieng opened one by one while they do testing , to prevent something from going wrong,
 while they do testing the network may be bogged down and internet performance may be hurt . 

What about the pings? when will they lower them to  what DSL has ?
 Answer : Once enough people are on the service , green will get a fibre optic internet backbone that will greatly
 improve the service , allowing it to be possibly BETTER than TSTT's and allowing gamers to play any online game they want
 at high speeds etc. it will take several months for enough people to be on the service to justify the upgrade to fibre optics

Why is everything taking so damned long ?
 Answer : green is dealing with limited resources ,  so there is not  enough manpower to do everything that may need to be
done in the blink of an eye , but they do note your requests and work on it later on ,if you care to make a donation
 i'm sure they would be happy to accept it

Where are the 'Green Dot' Advertisements ? Is this all a scam?
Answer
Green dot is still in a 'public beta' stage , stress testing their service before advertising begins and people start
flooding in , you can't expect them to provide a faulty service that will cause them to loose potential customers .

Is de rain dat blocking d dish eh? I always kno dat wireless cyan't wuk !
Answer :  For the period BEFORE this service disruption , i could still be downloading / gaming
   ( warcraft and other 'slow ' games) away all night in the middle of a storm ,
   with the occasional lightning bolt and thunder . Rain and clouds do not
affect this technology ! you can still watch TV in the rain can't you ?

How can i help ? :
 Answer : post and provide your email  , ICQ etc. and if you like your phone number , you may be able to assist by helping them test some service eg. P2p programs , Vo-ip etc.    , and don't forget to complain whenever you see something going wrong like you not bieng able to get on the internet for more than a day , low speeds eg. 4-5k , time outs etc. that occur continously for long periods of time .

People  ,  i would say that green dot IS the company to bring us all the creamy goodness of broadband and to compete with the TSTT monopoly,  Don't leave the service in favour of dial up or other ISPs because of the last few weeks of bad service, wait until the issues are cleared up and you can see Green Dot's service in all its glory , if it doesn't impress you throw it
 away , cuss and complain  , but give it a chance, else if we don't TSTT will  make our lives miserable for many years to come  .The service will improve as time passes by and whatever problems you may have will be solved , there is 24/7 tech support and the people don't take long  to reply to what problems you have . Give the service a chance ! If you can't afford it, set up something with your neighbours where you share the cost  and distribute the service over a network like I do .
  Also , any companies wishing to invest in an alternative to TSTT , give 622 5700 a buzz ( its the number for the net service, but they will either route you to the right people , or take a message) . For those who live too far for DSL and want to try the service out , wait a  month or two , or  until you see advertisements in the papers and give 622 5700 a call and see if they can hook you up , if you get hooked up right now you may encounter the same problems i have been talking about and will not be a happy person at all .

« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 06:28:14 PM by TrinithereturnofGamez »
http://freetrinipoetry.blogspot.com/

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770
2 gigs DDR2 667 + 2 gigs DDR 800 OCZ

Carigamers

Green Dot problems
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:23:53 PM »

Offline SPK

• Ancient
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 16
  • You ever wonder why we're here...?
    • Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD FX 8320
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB
  • RAM: 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1333.
  • Broadband: Flow.
  • Steam: spk1983tt
Re: Green Dot problems
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »
lol...I've been trying to get in contact with them for goodness knows how long about applying there to work, without hearing anything...so I say they should have enough manpower then!
Nagamete iru dake ja, itsumademo te ni dekinai...nagamete iru dake ja, kimi no mono ni wa naranai...

ssssssSSSSSSS...That's a nice everything you got there....SSSSSSS.

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:18:41 PM »
 i said there was a lack of manpower.... not an abundance of  job vacancies

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline suzieboy

• AdvancedTactics
  • Jonin
  • Chakra 1
    • PS3, Calculator
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Asus G50VT Core™2 Duo processor P7450
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS 512Mb
  • RAM: 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »
Do they have a website for info apart form the phone no. ?

Offline Czar

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 12
    • Xbox One
    • View Profile
  • XBL: slyCzar
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 09:20:22 AM »
Do they have a website for info apart form the phone no. ?
www.mail.tt

But it has less information there than the billboard they have on the highway....of course, I'm being sarcastic...they don't have a billboard on the highway....what I really meant was....their website don't say jack. Tho you can fill out the contact form and they'll should get back in contact with you...

Kudos to you trini for fighting the fight for them...but as crixx would say...propaganda and poppycock! :P I'll believe it when I see it...see it by a friend's house that is...cos I done cut my connection. Dialup immc! Ploy! :D

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 09:20:22 AM »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
rofl @ dial up immc

damn right.

Dial up and all is better at the moment.

The truth is, you don't just open up an ISP without doing your homework first.

These issues are not unique. Every ISP the world over deals with 'em and I don't think I have EVER had this much trouble with ANY other.

Even Cablenett and Fibreline were better.

I mean, you have an ISP but didn't cater to open ports on anything other than HTTP, FTP and SMTP? WTF??

That requires "testing"?

Well enough rant, I'm gonna be patient for maybe the end of the month. If nothing materializes by then, stout no jutsu idmc.

My single DSL connection at home makes the greendot wireless link look like it's running on a 14.4 baud Generic Made in Taiwan CNR modem.

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 12:20:16 PM »
  lets try and see if we could get some static IPs for free  from green and get direct IP games / file transfers running ,   it should keep us happy until green sorts out their mess and hosts our game servers  , anyone for it ?

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 11:09:31 PM »
by all means, if only they will do it.

Offline Czar

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 12
    • Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 09:45:20 AM »
Ploy! Downloaded @ 6k/sec last night!!!!11!!!1!one!1!!! Come test meh now green! :P

[edit]
Bah...just downloaded a 6.41MB file in 33secs... 198k/sec immc!!

And therein lies the problem...I've been spoilt by the speeds available to me at my office...cyah live on green and they jokey <12k speeds...even tho it supposed to be around 32k! Hell, I doh even think I could live on jus 32k nah.....must.....have.....bandwidth.....!!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 03:24:22 PM by Czar »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:45:45 PM »
ent

not to mention the DSL speed for browsin.

pace

Offline UltimateJed2

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 12:08:15 PM »
I have been off/on, on these forums and this thread caught my eye as I predicted the service would be poor.  There is more to setting up an ISP than having the hardware.  Forgive me if this offends you  but I clearly remember Baego marketing greendot and trying to get persons contracted to the greendot service. 

Baego as a site admin you should have taken more care in investigating this company and not be taken in by marketing.  I of recent got word that you are the leader of this institution and hold a nice job at a prominant company, your influence amongst this community is great, it is your duty to guide them to success and not to peril.  With high positions come high responsibility, it is your burden.   The idea of a Gaming WAN is a good idea but the greendot infrastructure is NOT the answer.

Hey I am all for dis assembling the TSTT monopoly, but I am not going to leave the TSTT dsl service for something thats not as good, heck GD is closer to TSTT dialup than dsl.  I have a friend who has the service, I warned him about GD, I told him it would be better to get TSTT DSL, he argued that he was getting it free, so 'no scene'.  I now feel this guys pain, while he can check mail surf sites and get a slightly above average(dialup) download speeds the downtime, its just not worth it in comparison to TSTT.

"Lucas boy, this thing is shit, the net down again"

A valid point was made, 'When rain falls, tv doesnt go out', while this sounds good, have you ever seen your speeds diminish as a result of downpours?  I have witnessed such with GD!  I dont have reasoning for it, but it happens.  Not to mention the latency also takes a beating as a result of rain.

While everything looks good on paper, things dont always come out the way we would like it.

Bless

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »
 my speeds haven't diminished due to rain...  one night when the bandwidth was unlocked i got 150 +K  even though it was raining  . The only thing the weather could do is knock the dish out of alighnment in heavy rain / wind if it isn't secured properly  .
   The green dot hardware is capable , just the company  doesn't seem to have its priorities right , they spent most of the last 2 weeks ' making decisions' on when ports should be open .  and those same 'managment decisions' are holding back the WAN
   I notice  that the net goes up/ down whenever they make a change to the network , eg.  last week i lost connection, did an Ipconfig/release  / renew   , then all my ports were unlocked for a few hours  and i could have downloaded torrents at 15-20 k and played Warcraft III online  at 600ms ... but by midnight i lost connection again and the ports were locked .

Green Dot still is in a semi- beta phase it seems,  they didn't  know what they were doing before and gave us all high hopes and unrealistic expecations

If your speeds are low go calll green and ask them to do something about it ,  or use Getright like i do and download from multiple servers at once,  and you'll reach your cap of 30k and sometimes more .

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline UltimateJed2

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »
Trini would you say that you are content with the service?
Would you have been more content with tstt DSL?

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 02:50:04 PM »
i  honestly would be more content with   dsl , but i am alot more happy with green dot than i was with dial up, the service may be lacking but the tech/customer support is great , and also 24/7 .  Also it won't be too long a wait till i get low pings  from optic fibre  optic fibre .

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline Czar

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 12
    • Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 03:08:19 PM »
If your speeds are low go calll green and ask them to do something about it ,  or use Getright like i do and download from multiple servers at once
Or you can do like me and call them and tell them to shove it where...I mean...courteously ask them to disconnect it because the speeds are just too great for 1 person to bear by themself... :P

Just yesterday a friend told me of his plans to get the green service...I soon showed him the error of his ways...I couldn't knowingly allow him to waste money like that...I mean...how it go look??

Also it won't be too long a wait till i get low pings  from optic fibre  optic fibre
trini, jes come out and say yuh geh a wuk by green in d Marketing dept nah...cos according to crixx...is jes propaganda & poppycock yuh spewing forth in these green threads...won't be too long till low pings from optic fibre....HA! Or not!

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 08:42:35 AM »
rofl @ speeds were too much to bear for one person.

yeah, I think when they have improved and begin to deliver the service as first promised, then and only then, they can be recommended.

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 08:25:06 PM »
 green dot is putting its services back up, p2p works well now and you can connect to Steam and ping game servers in Haloce , COD etc... all they need is a nice fat 100mbit fibre optic line and a few months and tstt will be te pawnt .

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 04:22:05 PM »
storm overhead and it still works fine,  pinged google for several minutes and 0 packet loss, downloading naruto anime all now .

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 09:04:07 PM »
not bad, not bad at all.

I hope the strong winds don't shift our dish.

Haven't tried any p2p stuff to be honest. Will give that a shot soon.

I hope you downloading Michael Jackson songs that you already legitimately own on Dr. Hyde TDK 90 minute cassettes eh Trini!

Same for dat naruto.

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 09:22:11 PM »
 don't worry i plan to delete all the songs within 24 hours of downloading them ;) , and i do have a cupboard full of old cassetes and cds  ,i'm sure MJ has his name on one .
  Its getting real rainy and lightning/thunder are about... still  have a connection and 0 packet loss .

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Carigamers

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 09:22:11 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal