Author Topic: Book lovers  (Read 11045 times)

Offline trinigamer

• Chunin
  • Chakra 13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD FX 6300
  • GPU: ATI R9 270
  • RAM: 4 x 4 GB DDR3, PC1600
  • Broadband: Flow 30mb
  • MBL: iPhone 5
  • Steam: trinigamer73
Book lovers
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 08:53:45 AM »
Where yall get the complete wheel of time books? I got the first three i think from club nalis, and thats all they had, and i cant seem to find the complete set in trini
You could try second hand bookstores, Eventures in St. Augusitine and POS. Best place is usually the web, the first 9 books are available in 3-book box sets, the tenth will have to be bought seperately.

Wheel of Time was also a pretty good PC game as well.

Dune series is one of the best sci-fi series. Movie/miniseries are good too.

Carigamers

Book lovers
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 08:53:45 AM »

Offline LiQuiDSNaKe

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 12:51:19 PM »
looking for any Terry Brooks too. Anybody have The Sword of Shannara my mom lend  my copy to somebody and can't remember who. In fact any of the Shannara series i want!                    
God asks no man whether he wants to live, that is not the choice....The only choice is how

She's a DOA3 kind of sexy....and that's all i really need to say

OVRCVRBRO NTN LQDSNK CVA {C-P} 8188

Offline Gambitt

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 01:19:36 PM »

The old lynch version was better than the newer dune miniseries,  it was a much better told stroy even if it didnt hold to the book as well.

The children of dune.... I thought Leto was supposed to be a little boy, why it have big hardback man playing Leto?                    
Vir insipiens non cognoscet et stultus non intelleget haec

Offline trinigamer

• Chunin
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 03:00:35 PM »

The old lynch version was better than the newer dune miniseries,  it was a much better told stroy even if it didnt hold to the book as well.

The children of dune.... I thought Leto was supposed to be a little boy, why it have big hardback man playing Leto?
Yes, the 4 hour director's cut is one of the better sci-fi movies made. Watch every time it shows on sci-fi channel.                    

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 08:16:40 PM »
so did i .it was great                    

Carigamers

Book lovers
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 08:16:40 PM »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
Book lovers
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 12:10:19 PM »
Shadow_Hitokiri there is no way Angels and demons was better than THe da vinci code and I am not alone on this one, I believe the fact that da vinci code was a bestseller and angels and demons not as sucessful says it all. On the other hand Deception point is pretty cool however I begin to grow tired of his style of story telling. It seems to always start with a murder.                    

Offline Lucifiel

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2005, 01:06:12 AM »
*gets ready to show off*

I have almost all the Anne Rice novels.  Just need some other books that she did under her pseudonym.   :lol2:
Queen of the Damned was my very first book.  Got hooked ever since.
I love the Mayfair series.

I just had to...I'm just proud of my collection.  :P

Stephen King's Four Past Midnight is also a good book.  Has four novellas in it,  Langoliers, Secret Window, Library Policeman and um...can't remember the last one.

Only recently started reading Stephen King though, so if anyone has any recommendations, that would be nice.                    

Offline trinigamer

• Chunin
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2005, 08:34:12 AM »
Only recently started reading Stephen King though, so if anyone has any recommendations, that would be nice.
The Dark Tower series, IT and The Stand.                    

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
Book lovers
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2005, 09:49:29 AM »
if you now starting collections, yu may wanna finish off anything else yur reading before starting the dark tower series,cause once yu start yu really cant stop.

Nice work on the anne rice

Ive got the whole collection now!
yay for me.
Iam wondering if i should buy the different covers for all the books though.hmm

Mayfair series, although short is just to damn good, very enthralling, love how it mixes with the vampire chronicles.

The books under her pseudos, roquelne and all that, not that interested in.
Probably good though

OMG HOW COULD I FORGET

STEPHEN KING LAST YEAR RELEASED A SERIES OF SHORT STORIES

INCLUDING A SHORT STORY FROM THE DARK TOWER SERIES

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! A MUST READ

YU READ THESE SHORT STORIES AND GO DAMNIT MAKE THESE INTO REAL B00KS!!

Offline cereal_killer

• Jonin
  • Chakra -3
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2005, 08:13:01 PM »
the mini series based on children of dune and dune messiah that why he so old for                    

Offline Lucifiel

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 01:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions ^^                    

Offline Gambitt

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 08:56:21 PM »
In Messiah the chirren wasn’t born yet for most of the book, and when they were born they came in with one hell of an entrance. But in Children of Dune the twins were pre-adolescent. Leto shoulda been something around 9-10 when he underwent the transformation if my memory serves. Das part of why people were afraid of the twins, because they were adults in children’s bodies, like Alia from the first book.

It just isn’t as impressive when you have an adult playing the part. I mean what are you going to do, say “oh wow, look it’s a 20-something year old with the wisdom of an adult”? Just doh have the same ring to it.

It come like saying “aye man Baego put down a mad move on a map, I didn’t think anyone would be able to do that nuh”, or “aye if you see how this little kid who cyah even see over the fricking keyboard move in and mash the hell out of everyone. And then just before he leave the little bastard turn around and bawl ‘all your base are belong to us’”.

It’s more impressive if the child do it because it’s not something we’d credit a child with being able to do. Das what Leto did in “children”.

I’d love to see a series of Pratchett movies done, even if it’s animated the same cheesy way the game was.

Offline trinigamer

• Chunin
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2005, 01:57:43 PM »
Also recommend:

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Catch 22- Joseph Heller
1984, Animal Farm - George Orwell
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

These will have you thinking.                    

Offline DeadEyes

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2005, 08:59:30 AM »
ya'll forgetting a classic man,
The Pearl                    

Offline Gambitt

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2005, 11:10:43 AM »
Catch 22 was pretty funny, not everyone seems to like it though, something about nto being able to follow what was going on. ;)

Offline trinigamer

• Chunin
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 01:22:38 PM »
J.R.R. Tolkien.                    

Offline disciple

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 15
  • deus est caritas
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+
  • GPU: RADEON 3650 512 DDR3
  • RAM: 6 GB PC6400
Book lovers
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2005, 01:54:02 PM »
that same store in the west mall," nigel r khan" , i think you can place an order for almost any book you want, and they will source it for you. price, i not too sure of,  but i doh think they gonna dig yuh eye all the way out...

then you always have amazon and ebay..  amazon also offers used books ( through resellers), sometimes at a fraction of the cost

and if yuh STILL cah get it ( mostly  sci fi and classics, although u can get a few other genres)  u could always search on irc

i see allmenarescum mentioned she gonna start 'life of pi'.. great book, although the ending left a lot to be desired..

just finished 100 years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez..  another great book,, though the best i ever read would be a tie between  LOTR/ the silmarillion, and the original dune. ( anytime i read it,  i picture the characters from the david lynch movie..lol. and i hear the soundtrackby TOTO..  sweet)                    

Offline (HTK) Cedulai

• Genin
  • Chakra -9
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 07:58:54 PM »
I must learn not to defame the individual preferences of gatt readers, even when they come into conflict with my ideas. I must learn to be more open minded to the feelings of others and not call them names or say what they do or read is crap.       
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 09:49:18 AM by PapaSmurf »
'Don't try to live so wise, Don't cry 'cause you're so right, Don't dry with fakes or fear, 'Cause you will hate yourself in the end.' - Akeboshi

'They have struck us, so we will strike them stronger; they have hated us in their hearts, so we will hate them in our souls; they wish us dead... so we shall kill them.' - Chromius

Haliom Delania Vinata

Offline trinigamer

• Chunin
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2005, 10:35:55 AM »
U all really can't be serious. I've been through this entire thread and I've only seen books mentioned by a bunch of crappy authors with their crappy books with crappy writing. That kinda crap can be read in a day and they simply aren't that good. When r u all gona start readin some real crap? Try 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy, try 'To Kill a Mockingbird', try some REAL LITERATURE. I can't beleive there iz an entire topic where every1 iz praisin 'authors' like Stephen King and Eoin Cowler. Artemis Fowl iz a CHILRENS' BOOK! U all seriously need to grow up and broaden ur minds man. U people shouldn't even be mentioning that crap. I was reading those kinda rubish when i waz 7.

Firstly, you miss a few points. Most importantly, these people are reading. Not stuck in front of a TV or computer screen (all the time), but reading. Secondly, the definition of literature is relative, 100 years from now, King and Cowler may be considered in the same vein as Poe or R.L. Stevenson. Thirdly, there was an age poll some time ago, on the previous incarnation of GATT, and the average age of a gatter was fairly young, you shouldn't expect teenagers to be reading heavy stuff, except for their english lit class. You said that you used to read this stuff, then you moved on, let them do the same thing, force people to read something someone thinks is "literature" is too much like english lit class (i.e. work) and may actually discourage reading.. Next, consider the audience here, its gamers, sci-fi and fantasy would be the obvious genre for them to be reading.

Remember, we all had to read Dick and Jane, before we read Shakespeare.                    

Offline Gambitt

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
Book lovers
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2005, 11:43:48 AM »
HTK, what's the point in saying that folks should read a book that’s actually on the English B syllabus? Heck you might have even made the connections with the names used in to kill a mockingbird, but that doesn’t make any of the books that people have mentioned on this thread less interesting reads.

Yes many of those books mentioned can be finished overnight by an avid reader, and I finished most of the books mentioned that I read in about that amount of time.

I dunno about you but I read those childrens books and the dune books, and waded a fair ways into the Egyptian book of the dead, and to kill a mocking bird, and tolkiens and…. well lets just cut to the chase and say that I’ve read a lot of stuff. Does having read the childrens books make my mind less broad? I dunno.

Lemme put it another way; kiddies play videogames, we are on a website devoted to people who play videogames, does that mean that we have small minds and should stop liking videogames? Heck there's even a section for people who like CARTOONS.

Or to put it differently, Ian Flemming is famous for two sets of writing. James Bond, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, does that make him any less of an author?

Now I happen to know of a site that has a pratchett short story called “Death and What Comes Next”. Pratchett tends to write comical things about not so comical things. This is a pretty good example of his work. http://www.ie.lspace.org/books/dawcn/dawcn-english.html

Does the fact that it’s funny make it any less deep?

Carigamers

Book lovers
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2005, 11:43:48 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal