Author Topic: Jeff Gertsman fired from Gamespot  (Read 7620 times)

Offline shivadee

• Honorary Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 13
  • Finally......almost! :)
    • XBOXONE, PS4,Switch, N3DS
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • BattleNet ID: shivad33#1573
  • Origin ID: shivadee
  • PSN: finab00st
  • Steam: &Shiva
  • XBL: x3xyz
Jeff Gertsman fired from Gamespot
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:52:06 PM »
Now this guy has been reviewing for Gamespot for about 10 years. He was fired because of his TONE used to the review for Kane and Lynch.

Again this guy was flamed REALLY bad for the 8.8 review of Twilight Princess. they complain about his tone and his attitude in the review. He acts like he has a grudge with the game rather than critiquing it.

My point....those so called GATT reviewers out there under the delusion that they THINK they can review. Take note please. Attitude on a game review (a full fledged one) is not necessary.

Carigamers

Jeff Gertsman fired from Gamespot
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:52:06 PM »

Offline AvatarTT

• Kage
  • Chakra 83
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: i7-4790k
  • GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
  • Origin ID: BloodyAvatar
  • PSN: BloodyAvatar
  • Steam: AvatarTT
  • XBL: AvatarTT
Re: Jeff Gertsman fired from Gamespot
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
I don't like Gamespot so I don't really know the guy, but that review wasn't so bad imo. He's just telling it like it is. Sort of x-play-ish.
You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount.

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »
The word is that it was Eidos threatening to pull their ads that got him canned.
Which is total bull****. Any respect I had for Gamespot just died over that.

I never liked Jeff, but to bow down to ad pressure like that just screams that GS has no integrity.

Offline shivadee

• Honorary Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »
Meh. Money talks.....that is life, that is management. The trick is to make it do what you want and fool bureaucracy. Some of these review companies are full of fat, americanized (because they are American) BORING people with NO INTENTION of getting into the industry, they want to work for CNN..and this is a stepping stone.. You literally have to SHOVE innovation down their throat.

On another note...not everyone believes what you do......Pennyarcade is a very funny site with opinions that are valid...I LOVE how they f*ckup IGN. Such an inconsistent review site. Their video reviews totally lack depth and reason. CLEARLY people that dont know their head from their ass about game reviews. always RUSHING out a review with a half ass finished game.

from penny-arcade

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/11/26

I guess some guy at IGN is mad at me and he lays into me on their podcast. You can follow the link and listen for yourself but I don't recommend it, they don't really deserve the traffic spike. Basically some IGN guy is super pissed because I said I didn't agree with the bad reviews of Assassins Creed. I'm actually of the opinion that if we're pissing off IGN we must be doing something right.

Honestly my main concern was to make sure people didn't avoid the game based on some of the poor reviews. I got something like four hundred mails after that post and 90% of them looked like this:

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Assassin's Creed.  I was going to skip it based on the reviews.  After reading your write up I rented it though.  I've played about 10 hours and love it!"

So there you go, that's all I wanted.

The IGN thing is just sort of silly. He says I should leave reviewers alone because I "just do things and write things as a freaking comic artist." I'm not sure how to respond to that. I think he's trying to insult me but everything he said there is true.

The sad thing is I wasn't even talking about their review. I was talking about the 7.0 from 1Up. No one actually pays any attention to IGN or their 7-10 review scale. To tell you the truth I still don't even know what IGN's review of AC was. Was it bad? It's really kind of cute that he thinks I was talking about him. After hearing how worked up he got on the podcast I actually feel kind of bad ruining it. It must have been a real thrill for him to believe he was relevant.

-Gabe out

to BACK this guy up. for EVERY game developer i have spoken to in the last FIVE years...there have been over 20 or more of them. NONE of them give a shit bout IGN....go figure. ALL of them prefer Gamespot. Just fyi, so do I. DETAILED and valid reviews, and they are consistent.

NOT TO MENTION my F*CKING RIPOFF of a membership with IGN i payed for compared to Gamespot. Gamespot by FAR for a one year subscription fee. Fileplanet my @SS ill pay for it separately.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:09:48 PM by shivadee »

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »
Meh. Money talks.....that is life, that is management. The trick is to make it do what you want and fool bureaucracy. Most of these review companies are full of fat, americanized (because they are American) BORING people. You literally have to SHOVE innovation down their throat.

I really don't believe that you're shrugging off this fact so easily.
Everything Gamespot does is now suspect. How do we know their reviews aren't just them panhandling as publishers walk past.
"Lookit us! We likes ya!"

I'm reminded now of EGM and how when they were much smaller they had companies threaten to pull ads based on subpar reviews. EGM told them to shove it. They pulled their ads, and came crawling back later.
The fact that a company with as much clout as Gamespot isn't willing to tell Eidos where they can shove their money is atrocious.

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »

Offline shivadee

• Honorary Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:34:54 PM »
All review sites are suspect. Thats why i ignore most reviews. They have to maintain a rep with the company to get the games to review.

They are not independent. They are sponsored.

I used to review for some of these sites. you give a BAD review on a game, even if it IS bad, you get BLACK LISTED from them and dont get sh@t from them again. Thats the way marketing works.

you REALLY think people are doing this because its FUN? they forgot what fun is, its money, thats all they care about. You go to Gamespot and see a bigass Kane & Lynch banner, click on it either by accident or not, they get 5 cents. Times that by the 100 thousand ppl or MORE that visit Gamespot daily......you get the picture.

This is how it works, this is how the entertainment industry works. Its all bs and you have to deal with it. QQ'ing about it will not change it, neither will writing a letter, neither will writing 100 letters. You roll with it and turn it into something less ugly.

I am sorry to see this reviewer go. He was honest in his opinion which is rare.....but apprently "this is showbizenessssss" and thats the way it is. Manipulate the nubs......and pwn base.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 12:22:55 AM by shivadee »

Offline AvatarTT

• Kage
  • Chakra 83
    • View Profile
  • CPU: i7-4790k
  • GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
  • Origin ID: BloodyAvatar
  • PSN: BloodyAvatar
  • Steam: AvatarTT
  • XBL: AvatarTT
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 12:33:49 AM »
GameSpot denies Eidos pressured firing of Gerstmann

We just got off the phone with Sarah Cain, a CNET spokesperson who wanted to amend CNET's previous statement to Joystiq on the recent firing of executive editor Jeff Gerstmann. While reiterating that CNET does not discuss personal employee matters with the press, Cain said directly that "we do not terminate employees based on external pressure from advertisers." When asked specifically about whether any such pressure was even attempted on Eidos' part, Cain had no comment. We're still waiting for a response to multiple e-mail requests for comment by Eidos PR.

While we had Cain on the line, we also asked her about the odd disappearance of Gerstmann's video review of the game from the GameSpot site. She responded by pointing out a note at the bottom of the still-running text review for the game, which states that "this review has been updated to include differences between the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions and a clarification on the game's multiplayer mode."

When pressed for clarification, Cain said that this note applied to the video review as well. "At the bottom of the post of the [text] review we made a note that we have updated the review, and we made those decisions based on our own editorial standards," she said. "It was our decision to take down the [video] review." Given this justification, we can't help but wonder why GameSpot couldn't just edit the video review, as they did the text version. Why remove the entire thing if the problem was really just a "clarification?" When asked just that question, Cain reiterated her initial statement.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/gamespot-denies-eidos-pressured-firing-of-gertsmann/
You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount.

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 12:54:15 AM »
So Gamespot is denying that their advertisers are able to exert editorial pressure on them? Surely not!
For them to tell the truth would be like a government admitting things going bad.

Offline TaC_uP

• Chunin
  • Chakra 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 03:12:15 AM »
Gamespots reviews are bought. They show it time and time again.

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/eidos-and-gamespot-forums-exploding-over-gerstmann-incident/

It's believed that 4chan was behind the attack on Eidos.
And another interesting article:
http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor-on-fired-writer-328775.php

And if you needed anymore proof that there's discontent over at Gamespot over this, here's what the Poll of the day looked like earlier on GameFAQs (affiliate site of GS, both owned by cnet):
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/starsandcement/strangepoll.jpg

Taken down quickly and then Allen (gfaqs admin) had this to say on it at the PotD board:
Just as an fyi, the poll that went live obviously wasn't supposed to. It was created as a poll to test a few things out and for some reason it was scheduled to go live. No, I didn't type it up and had nothing to do with it. There wasn't a site hack and there's no need for tin-foil hats or anything here, it was simply an internal mistake. This isn't the first time an unscheduled poll has gone live, though obviously this is one of the most... interesting ones.

Obvious DC from the Baconator there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:14:25 AM by Exar_Kun »

Offline TrinireturnofGamez

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »
 i believe it was a Gamespot review of STALKER that made me 'acquire' the game...

I don't know about alyuh  ,but the game was so bad i couldn't even get past  2 hours of playing it without feeling sick. I deleted it one time...

But the gamespot review gave it a score in the high 80s..

I'v never trusted game reviews to tell me how a game is , i try it out for myself before i buy it.
http://freetrinipoetry.blogspot.com/

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770
2 gigs DDR2 667 + 2 gigs DDR 800 OCZ

Offline TinyGrasshopper

• Chunin
  • Chakra -5
    • Wii, PS3
    • View Profile
    • Subway Chronicles
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz
  • GPU: 9500 GT
  • RAM: 8GB
  • PSN: chrisyeem
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »
Jeff and Greg Kasavin basically were Gamespot. He harshes on games a bit more but you can at least see where his opinion is coming from. With Greg gone to EA and now this, Gamespot is now completely and utterly irrelevant. I actually used to like Gamespot a lot, their reviews were more detailed than the rest. You can see the quality of the reviews decline a bit as of late but still.

I hear that all the other reviewers at Gamespot have refused to review another game as a kind of internal strike. I think the only way Gamespot can save themselves now is to fire that Josh Larson guy and give Gerstmann his job
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:45:29 AM by TinyGrasshopper »
"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at "
Scroll buttons and the bad be together at last. How you ever learn to scrigee-scroll so fast?

Offline Synchronomyst

• Jonin
  • Chakra 19
  • nihil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 06:21:09 AM »

Jeff's Review. Axe material? Hrm...
What can you do to end the hunger?
It's no surprise that many will die with the coming shortage of food
When there is no grain to feed the butchered cows
When there is nothing to feed yourselves...
Then you will see that money can't be eaten.

-The Locust

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 07:17:02 AM »
This is all so funny seeing as Gamespot self invested so much e-space on their site tracking the game's progress
with previews, interviews, 'designer diaries' and sundry other tripe.  I was actually getting sick of all the bloody
Kane and Lynch coverage.  I wasn't even looking forward to this game, so its no surprise to find out that it sucked a$$.

What GS did was deplorable, but not illegal, or unconstitutional.  After all, Eidos payed a whole lot for all the bloody ads
for that game, and others, on the very Gamespot, so I can understand their fury if Jeff ripped em a new one with his review.
That said, regardless of one reviewer's opinion, Eidos should have just rolled with the punches and look at making a better
game to eclipse this one.  They deserve every bit of negative publicity they are getting.

Journalistic integrity is a fast-fading quality these days.  I guess the old adage 'every man has a price' still holds
true...even today.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
I read that it was quite politically motivated as opposed to really dealing with 'tone' there shiv.

Offline TheApprentice

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 25
    • PS4, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS XL, Xbox 360, PSPgo
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
  • GPU: 2x Gigabyte R9 280x
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 2400MHz
  • Broadband: Rogers
  • Origin ID: TheApprenticePC
  • PSN: The_Apprentice
  • Steam: TheApprenticePC
  • XBL: TheApprenticeXb
Gamespot Comments On Gerstmann Departure
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:15 PM »
The past week marked the end of an era at GameSpot. After over a decade in a variety of editorial roles, Jeff Gerstmann's tenure as editorial director has ended.

"Jeff was a central figure in the creation and evolution of GameSpot, having written hundreds of previews and reviews, and anchoring much of our multimedia content," said Ricardo Torres, editorial director of previews and events. "The award-winning editorial team he leaves behind wish him nothing but good luck in his future endeavors."

Due to legal constraints and the company policy of GameSpot parent CNET Networks, details of Gerstmann's departure cannot be disclosed publicly. However, contrary to widespread and unproven reports, his exit was not a result of pressure from an advertiser.

"Neither CNET Networks nor GameSpot has ever allowed its advertising business to affect its editorial content," said Greg Brannan, CNET Networks Entertainment's vice president of programming. "The accusations in the media that it has done so are unsubstantiated and untrue. Jeff's departure stemmed from internal reasons unrelated to any buyer of advertising on GameSpot."

"Though he will be missed by his colleagues, Jeff's leaving does not affect GameSpot's core mission of delivering the most timely news, video content, in-depth previews, and unbiased reviews in games journalism," said Ryan MacDonald, executive producer of GameSpot Live. "GameSpot is an institution, and its code of ethics and duty to its users remains unchanged."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183603.html

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
Yeah THEY WOULD say that... we'll wait to see if de man puts the truth up in a blog of his... chances are not though as I am sure he wouldn't want to jeopardize the employment of his past co-workers cause the upper management were @$$holes.

Offline shivadee

• Honorary Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 03:53:11 PM »
This is why I am finishing this degree in Game Design. I could have opted for a job one time after my Management degree but didnt. I think it VITAL that one in management has at least SOME CLUE as to how the Game Development process is carried out. I dont have to be a 1337 programmer to know certain attributes of Action Script, I dont need to be an uber animator to know character modeling and mesh smoothing can seriously pwn your pollygon count for a console game and I dont need to know that an intrinsic analysis of a company like EA should be managed by tiers with managers well versed in each section.

Essentially, know what you are involved in so no one can bullshit you. And EA goes out and hires a guy that was the manager of Clorox :P.....gg

Offline zenmaster

• Chunin
  • Chakra 3
  • > 20 milli produc, <2 milli sales : Killzone2
    • PS2, PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Duo core
  • RAM: 2GB
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 11:20:35 PM »
What do your guys think of gametrailers.com video reviews? I like 'em.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »
Hmm...
Eidos stretches truth about game

Kane and Lynch 'reviews' nonsense

By Nick Farrell: Wednesday, 05 December 2007, 9:55 AM

WHILE reviewing dire game 'Kane and Lynch' truthfully has already caused one hack his job, it seems that the game maker Eidos has been spinning the mediocre reviews it has got into winners.

If you visit the game's official site, you would think that GameSpy and Game Informer are both recorded as giving it great reviews.

According to kotaku.com, the reviews are made up and complete porkies. Both reviews are glowing and give the game five stars.

But GameSpy did not say "It's the best emulation of being in the midst of a Michael Mann movie we've ever seen" in their review of the game.

They actually said that after seeing a preview during this year's E3. When they did review it, they gave it three stars saying that the bad outweighs the good.

Game Informer does not give stars, but scored it seven out of 10, and the quote on the site does not appear in the review. In fact, the review complained that most of the time, the player is left scratching his head.

It seems that in an absence of good reviews, the good people at Eidos decided to make a few up and hope that the punters wouldn't check them out.

This is interesting... what was that about the man attitude vs. politics?

Carigamers

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal